St Cuthbert's Church
St Cuthbert's church has a 12th century nave and chancel in the Norman style. In the chancel is one preserved window; the rest are 1886–1887, when a major restoration and extension took place. The church is approached by a short avenue of lime trees and entered on the south side by a porch containing some inscribed Roman stones that were discovered during excavations for the 19th century extension.
Special service events bring in large congregations of both children and adults. We have one regular Sunday service each month in our own church and work closely with the other churches in the North Westmorland benefice, holding joint services on a rota.
Safeguarding of children, young people and vulnerable adults is of utmost importance in this parish. Parochial Church Council members have attended Church of England Safeguarding Training and relevant information is displayed in the church, including contact details if you have concerns.
Church Wardens are Margaret Burne (01931 714218) and Joyce Wills (01931 71507).
Details of services in St Cuthbert's church are published in the monthly newsletter of the North Westmorland Group of Churches.
Click here for a list of the Rectors of Cliburn.
Commonwealth War Grave
The churchyard includes one Commonwealth War Grave. Lance Corporal Thomas Ward, Fourth Battalion King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment), died on 31 August 1918 aged 28 years in an accidental shooting while guarding the railway near Slough. The grave is unmarked, but his name is on a commemorative brass plaque in the church.
The churchyard also commemorates William Wills of Cliburn, 11th Battalion Border Regiment, son of Sarah and Joseph Wills, who was killed in action in France on 1 July 1916 aged 24 years and is buried at Lonsdale Cemetery, Authuille.